Recipe from Dan Glickberg and Mitchel London
of Fairway Market!
Makes: 35 Macaroons
• 10 egg whites
• 2½ cups of sugar
• 4 pounds sweetened coconut
• 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
• pinch of salt
• ½ pound bar of semi-sweet chocolate (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the egg whites, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of your electric mixer and blend for 1 minute.
3. Add the coconut and continue to mix until well blended.
4. Keeping your hands wet, form the mixture into small mounds or hay stacks onto a baking sheet pinching them together slightly so that the macaroon holds.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the outside is golden brown.
6. Chop the chocolate coarsely.
7. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. You can also use a pot over very low heat or the microwave provided you pay close attention and mix it frequently during the melting process.
8. Once the macaroons are cooled, dip just the bottoms of each haystack into the chocolate and place them on parchment paper.
9. Let cool at room temperature and enjoy!